Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I also wish…

…I had thought of doing this:
jeanAnother friend, Jean from New Zealand tried the metallic effects surface using kitchen towel from the article in Workshop on the Web. She then embossed the surface with a Cuttlebug machine and rubbed it over with silver Gleam, which I am assuming is similar to Treasure Gold (?) and this is the result.

Another great idea that I hadn’t thought of doing. I’m still in two minds as to whether or not to get a Big Shot machine to have a play with.

A couple of years ago I met up with Carol (McFee) at the NEC where she was looking at these and eventually bought one. So of course it went on to my ‘must have’ list but I wasn’t sure if I really did want one or just wanted one because Carol had one. *LOL*
So I never did get around to getting one but that could change now I see the possibility of adding another dimension to these surfaces.

Going back to the samples I have been working on for ‘Scrim, Screens & Scrappy Bits’ at Textiles in Focus next month I kept thinking that this particular sample vaguely reminded me of something:
sampleThen when I was sorting through a box of bits I came across these and it clicked:
cane toad2I bought seven of these from Dales stand at Ally Pally about three (or maybe more) years ago, dyed in these three colours:
cane toadHadn’t got a clue what I was going to use them for, and still haven’t, but just had to have them. :) They are Cane Toad skins. Of course DH, a fountain of trivial knowledge, knew exactly what they were all about and I found them even more interesting.

If you are curious you can google ‘cane toad’ and find more. This excerpt came from Wikipedia:
Bufotenin, one of the chemicals excreted by the cane toad, is classified as a Class 1 drug under Australian law, alongside heroin and cannabis……………………………… toad licking could result in serious illness or death.

Well, I’ve heard about kissing a frog but  never licking a toad!

As for DH – a kissed frog now and again but mainly toad :) - well, I knew it was a mistake asking him in the first place but I still went ahead. Asked him to pick up a birthday card and this is what he came back with:
cardAll about having a drink, party shoes, dancing the night away. OK you might be thinking, rubbish card but….?
The ‘but’ is even if I wanted to I wouldn’t  be sending this card for at least another 14 years. It’s for this little lady who will be 4 on Saturday.
LottieHe claims I forgot to mention who it was for, I just said something ‘pink and girly’. Will I never learn?

And what does Lottie want for her 4th birthday? Xia-Xia Hermit Crabs and make-up !!!!!

The lucky girl is having two birthdays this year. Her official one on Saturday with friends and a family party on Sunday as I am teaching a workshop for Southend Embroiderers Guild at Westcliff on Sea on Saturday.

I’m looking forward to the workshop….*LOL*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a second hand cuttlebug machine on ebay (similar to the sizzix) and it's been so useful for many things - it happily cuts and embosses felt, leather ....... ;-)

Heather said...

I never imagined something so artistic could be made with a Cuttlebug machine. To get the best from all these craft gadgets I think I need a more active imagination to justify the outlay!
Nice to know that cane toads become useful eventually.
Your birthday girl is so sweet and very photogenic.
Have a great weekend.

Diane Kelsey said...

Speak to Sharne about a Cuttlebug. It is on my wish list, the thing holding me back is the size of the plates. Great to see you and all your work last night. I could spend a whole week on a textile retreat with you and not get board with all your fabulous techniques. I need to finish my Material Girls work so that I can play with the ideas in your new book.

vintagerockchick said...

Yeah, I've found that you DO have to be specific!

neki desu said...

my sister does papercrafts and she has an assortment of those die cutting things. she even has a computerised one. i ended my visit to her this summer with a severe want case . now i want a frog to lick LOL!!!