Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Yahoo group 'Surfacing' that I am a member of have decided to have a challenge for '09. Every two weeks we take a letter of the alphabet and work with something beginning with that letter be it fabrics, tools, techniques or whatever.
My first thought was to do a double A - Artistic Ability - something I am sadly lacking when it comes to drawing from life. So I have decided to spend 30 minutes each day sketching the same object then I will compare the first day with the last and hopefully see an improvement. I'll show you my results on here - eventually.
So in the meantime, and being short of time as usual, I decided to cheat and combine A and B. :)
I played around with Abaca tissue and came up with a Book - a 'Pocket' book.
These are the three signatures which will eventually be sewn into a cover.
Each signature is made from an A4 size sheet of Abaca tissue. I had been working with some silk paints so I randomly sprayed on the colours I had left over. When this was dry I gave the sheet a coat of Polymer Medium. Not only does this strengthen the tissue it also makes it translucent. I then ironed on some used sheets of gold foil.
Each signature has 8 different pockets. ATC's would fit in perfectly. I've just used some scrappy bits & pieces so you can see where the pockets are.
Two pockets at the top:Two at the sides:One each on front and back:And two inside:I cut some larger pieces from the same sheet ready to make the covers - sometime. :)Then I got to thinking how the A4 Tyvek paper might work so had a go with that.Then I thought about burning some holes in the front of the 'pockets' so you could have a peek at what was inside and I also burned through the straight edges - and rubbed on a bit of Treasure Gold to cover the burn marks.Then of course, a load of other ideas came flooding in, but I will have to leave it at that for now.

The Cyber Fyber exhibition is well underway, and going great by the sounds of it. CarolT mentioned the postcard she had sent in and had a link so you could comment. I thought I would go and have a look and see if anyone had commented on the one I submitted. And they had with this: 'Great postcard, shame about the holes' *LOL*
To see who the culprit was, take a look here.

24 comments:

Genie said...

Love these pocket books Lynda
Happy new Year

Gina said...

Love the pockets in these folded books Lynda. Would love to see how they are folded!

Wil said...

A great book Lynda!

Julie said...

These books are beautiful and a great design. You've given me some ideas for making my little boat for Joanne B Kaar's project (all explained on my blog). I may give tyvek a go or teabag paper which I could stitch into. Hmmm, lots of ideas running round! I love the surfaces of your signatures and the pockets are ingenious.

Sandy said...

That challenge certainly got you going. I love what you did.

Doreen G said...

Love the books Lynda--that is a great design and luckily I know how to fold them :-)

Vicki W said...

The books are awesome!

hippopip said...

Brilliant books sorry about the comment just couldnt resist it

Ruth said...

Great books! I love the rich colors.

Seth said...

These are really stunning!

neki desu said...

wohoo! abaca paper! love the letter pockets

neki desu

Emmy said...

so very beautiful

Heather said...

The books are wonderful and I love the postcard - especially the holes!!

Joanna said...

I love these little pocket books! And, of course the great surface design techniques.

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Hi
Another super idea. Love the colours of the first one. Very rich.
Cheers
Shirley

Kim said...

I love the book - I've never tried abaca tissue but it looks beautiful , in your hands at least!

(I don't think Pippa's much sincere at all , though. Just between you and me.)

Papoosue said...

These are lovely Lynda - the tissue ones really look like velvet in the photos! Just catching up with your blog (been a bit sporadic) and your work is just as inspiring as ever. X

fontainefleurie said...

Hi Lynda, congratulations you have 50 followers - I like your fibre-in-form class very much! There are also some pics on my other blog now (www.dovadi.web-log.nl/fiberfusing). There is so much to learn and to share.... greetings DOrie

Jackie said...

Gorgeous postcard, gorgeous holes too.

(I see there are a lot of links to my blog at the end of this post. I hope you don't think I put them there. Another blogger did on hers and a row ensued.)

Anonymous said...

I have just given you the beautiful blog award, next go to my blog for all the info.

Krishna said...

Hi, love your work have been reading your blog for quite a while.
I have given you a butterfly blog award, to check it out, visit my blog. Love the abaca tissue work.
Krishna

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful 'Pocket' books! How ever did you fold them???

Elizabeth
Las Vegas

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Gorgeous work - as usual!

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

Did you persevere with your drawings? I would love to see how you got on. I love drawing the same thing over and over again. Before the first time I did it I thought I'd get bored but I don't seem to. I usually have to move on to something else before I feel I've exhausted all the possibilities!