Saturday, April 12, 2008

I realised I hadn’t blogged lately so thought I would share some (unfinished) pieces I have been playing with lately.
I’ve been obsessed with corsets for a while now, probably since I first saw Elli Woodsfords’ wonderful pieces she made but have really only just started having a play around with the shape.
This is the first one I made. I intend to make journal covers from these to hold pages of other experimental bits.
In this one the corsets are made from scraps of silk, netting and organza.



In this one I have stitched down heat treated metallics for the corset shapes.
This is copper shim heated over a candle flame.
The next two have both been heated with a heat gun. This one is copper mesh.
And this one is stainless steel mesh.
I also heat treated a piece of copper wire mesh over the candle flame. Its only the top half that has been done but I didn't use it as it doesn't show up very well on a light background.

It doesn't show up too well on a dark background either really - makes it look a bit dull.
These are just a bunch of fabrics I have been painting. Have singled this one out as I intend to sew heat treated metals and beads on the surface and turn it into a book wrap.
I'm very pleased to say that I have been awarded the Arte Y Pico award by two very talented bloggers: Judy 'Colour my World' and Darlene of 'Articulation'

Arte Y Pico award


The rules state that you name 5 other bloggers to pass this on to - but how can I possibly choose just 5 from the 120 or so that I read and am inspired by on a regular basis?
So I will nominate all the blogs I read - not just those which appear in my sidebar which is badly in need of updating. :)

Have also joined the 'Another little quilt Swap' hosted by the lovely Kate. I am sure Kate must be one of the most prolific bloggers out there. She has so much energy its unbelievable.

There are 41 of us in the swap and although we can blog our progress we have to keep our swap partner a secret, which is a good thing as I wouldn't want to worry my partner at this early stage by admitting that I have never made a quilt before :)

Thats amazing! I don't know how I got that picture to the side of the wording, plus if you click on it you are taken to the ALQS blog. Instead of uploading the picture I copied the html code and pasted it in. So if anyone knows how I managed to do it perhaps you could let me know. :)

18 comments:

Annica said...

Your corsets are wonderful! Love the metallic ones!

Carol said...

Lynda this work is STUNNING. i love the corsets, the colours the metallics and ageing is just lovely. I think this work is just fab. Well done.

Shirley Goodwin said...

These are just lovely, Lynda.

sharon young said...

Well done on your Arte Y Pico award, Lynda :-)
I love the direction you're going with the corsets, they look very witty!!

gunnelsvensson said...

I love your corsets! they are wonderful!

Doreen G said...

Love the corsets Lynda and good on you for having a go at making a little quilt.

Susan D said...

Oh to have a figure that would look good in a corset.

BTW You probably got the photo to the side of your writing because you did copy and paste the html code.

Unknown said...

I love the corsets especially the metal ones, and that fabric is just stunning

Ruth said...

Hmmm... The corsets are great as long as I don't have to wear one. Very cool use of metals in what would be considered a "soft" subject (except for the stays of course).

Joanna said...

Love the corsets! I think I especially like the copper ones.

susan said...

i love the corsets...i havent tried using metal or foil yet... one of these days.

neki desu said...

the metallic corsets are great.love the implicit concept!
and the "frames"

neki desu

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Hi Lynda
Quilting is quite a wide technique now so you shouldn't find it difficult. It isn't all about stitching pieces together anymore. It has become quite an art form so no problem for you..

FARBTUPFER said...

These corsets are so beautiful,
regards
Waltraud

Kate North said...

Love those corsets :) I think the picture is to the side of the text because when I originally put the picture up on my blog, I uploaded it using the alignment "left". That would be my guess, anyway.

ELMERC said...

Hi Lynda, love your corsets. I always thought a lady looked so lovely when she was wearing one. Elaine Cooke

Debbi Baker said...

Lynda - EVERYTHING (!!) is wonderful - love it ALL! The corsets are so effective (I share your love of them and have some nice stamps on this theme) and the painted fabric is so rich I tried touching it through the screen. Congrats too on the award - you are super worthy of it!

Dianne said...

Love, love, love your corset pieces!!!