Thursday, March 27, 2008

Have had a quick try at foiling using the Thermofax Screen and wanted to show how I got on.
I used JonesTones Plexiglue as the adhesive and left it to dry overnight.
I cut a rectangle of Fibre in-Form foil just slightly larger than the stencil size and made sure the foil side was facing upwards. Hands up all those that have tried to foil with the shiny side down :)I used the Clover Mini-iron on a warm setting, to bond the foil to the adhesive. The same as with a normal iron, you use the edge to 'scrape' along the foil over the glue design. You can tell when the foil has transferred to the glue when you see the outline of the design through the cellophane carrier.
I held this piece up to the light to show it better.
When the foil has cooled and you peel it back, if there are some areas of the design that haven't taken, lay the foil back down and repeat the procedure but try not to go over the areas that have already foiled as I find it tends to knock the shine back.
These are photos of the technique completed - not very good photos though as I find it extremely difficult to get decent shots of a surface as reflective as this foil.




I'm now going to have another go at using paint with the Thermofax Screens as I've done a typical man-thing and have now read the instructions after the first attempt.

15 comments:

sharon young said...

Hi Lynda
I love the effect you've created here, it looks like snake skin. Would you say it's easier to get the foil to stick where you want it using a clover iron?

Doreen G said...

Verrrry interrrestingg.

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

I put my hands up twice for using the wrong side of the foil twice in a row and for the man thing.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda, I loved your blog photos. You have a very nice Blog. Elaine Cooke

Françoise said...

Wow! Nice work.
I've been resisting buying this little iron for such a long time. But it might be useful after all...

Unknown said...

Nice screen, the foil has worked well on the image, do you think its better leaving the glue over night, I am usually impatient and don't leave it to dry properly

Anonymous said...

Okay...I have been reading your blog for a while & absolutely love what you do with textiles. I am not clear though on the process you used with the glue & the foil. Could you give me a step by step process? Like an order of the materials? I would appreciate it so much. Diane

Sandy said...

I like the abstract foil design.

TracyB said...

Everything you touch is just WONDERFUL, LOVE your frames below this post they are just fantastic!!

Lalhezar said...

These foiling experiments are really very very good. Patterning is very interesting and I love the colours. I shall be interested to see where this leads

Cyber Fyber said...

Hi!
First and foremost, THANK YOU for your beautiful trades! They've arrived safely here in South Carolina. Your generosity is as amazing as your creativity!

Also, I love your recent experiments, blog photos, and accompanying explanations! Wonderful stuff...all of it!
Susan

Judy Rys said...

Ohhh . . . what a great idea. I never thought about using glue with the thermofax. Great effect!

gunnelsvensson said...

So much thing there is to try! I haven´t heard about Thermofax Screen before! I don´t think we have it here in Sweden yet, we are a bit slowly here :-)
But I have try folie - and yes, the firts time of course I took the wrong side up ;-)

Judy Rys said...

Hi Lynda:
I've given you the Arte y Pico award for your inspiring blog. Please see this link for the info http://judyrys.blogspot.com/2008/04/arte-y-pico-award.html
Judy

susan said...

very nice...i love my thermofax... i just hope it still works after being neglected the past year plus it traveled 5000 miles to get here. i am almost afraid to plug it in...where did i put the box of screen, tape, frames...i love printing with them with paint i make with my dyes and a small foam roller brush...so fast so easy so little mess