Thursday, November 16, 2006

Subscriptions

Don’t you just hate it when you see a magazine you are subscribed to on sale in the newsagents but you don’t receive your copy until at least a week later?

Well it always happens to me with this magazine.



I have subscribed to Workbox for more years than I care to remember. It’s a bi-monthly magazine and from the outside it can sometimes look really staid and old-fashioned, the paper is poor quality and often the layouts leave a lot to be desired.

BUT I think this is one of the best mags around for content. It covers lots of exhibitions and events, several at amateur level – and I certainly don’t mean that in a derogatory way. It’s also very informative in other areas especially historically and textile collections. Plus it’s only £2.75 – really good value.

In this issue there are articles on Stitch, Dissolve, Distort the new book by the late Val Campbell-Harding and Maggie Grey, various exhibition reviews, the Charles Henry Foyle Trust Awards for Stitched Textiles, Art and Design Graduate Successes of 2006 and lots of other articles.

I would certainly recommend this magazine to anyone – even though I do get miffed when my copy arrives late!

Also in yesterdays mail was this magazine:


the journal of the Surface Design Association


Packed full of interesting articles as usual, but one of particular interest is ‘The Inkjet Printer as Versatile Tool’ –printing on fabrics, a subject we touched on in the City & Guilds Yahoo group.

1 comment:

Leanne Hurren said...

ooh that's one magazine I don't get - the surface design journal. Would you recommend it? Is it very intellectual? I have to say I prefer stitch magazine to embroidery as I like all the tips and techniques!