I’ve not had a very good week with these vessels. :(
I have tried using shapes and textures from the Pollen, Seeds and Fruit books – shown on here a few weeks back. I still wanted to use the same technique and/or the same (favourite) colours I have been using but with a bit of a twist.
With the first one I have got as far as the white paint stage and that is where I think it will probably end.
It stands around 30” tall and looks like an instrument of medieval torture!
The ‘spikes’ are made from Modroc moulded around a shape and inserted through an opening cut in the Kunin felt.
While I was in the garage searching for the Modroc I came across a couple of bowl shapes I had made some time ago and decided to give one a coat of acrylic paint.
In the meantime I had put together another vessel using a base of Kunin Felt on which I couched down a thick cotton thread and applied Xpandaprint before zapping the felt. This is how it looked after a coating of gesso.
I was quite taken with the colouring on the bowl – a base coat of Transparent Red Iron Oxide with Paynes Grey over the top – and decided to use the same combination for the vessel. Unfortunately, because of the texture it just wouldn’t work properly and this is what it ended up like.
I think I know exactly what I will be submitting for ALQS4 but I still wanted to have a play around today and see if I could come up with something a bit different.
I decided to ‘distress’ some Lutradur. These are just a few of the pieces I created, some of which I have taken a step further.
These ones have all been created on 30 weight white Lutradur.
I’ve also got another encrusted vessel on the go but not finished enough to show here and I have a feeling this one is going to look even more strange than the one at the top of this page. :)