Two non-contenders for the ALQS3 swap.
Don’t you just hate it when you waste most of the weekend doing something that hasn’t quite worked?
This is the first one:Very dull and boring and very little stitch either!
And the second one just wasn’t right from the offset. Don’t really know why I persevered as I had no intention of submitting it but I wanted to try something out with this one – and in the end I’m glad I did.
I knew it wouldn’t be going anywhere once I put the layer of gesso on as the fabric lifted and puckered right in the centre and there would have been no way to disguise it.
You can get away with a lot of mishaps with a coat of acrylic paint, but not this time.
Reluctant to show the whole piece as it is just far too ‘busy’ – but would like to share the close ups.
I really like the colours I ended up with and the design reminded me of something industrial, machinery, cogs (rusty, of course) etc.
I Thermofax printed the cogs with heavy body black acrylic into the circles. My laser printer has run out of yellow and because of that it won’t even print in black. So I used a Koh-I-Nor charcoal pencil to fill in the shape before I run it through the machine – and it worked perfectly. (That tip thanks to Guenther
here.) I then painted on Metallic Iron paint and when that was dry spritzed it with Rust Activator.
Just as a by-the-by. I bought the HP Laser printer, new, several months ago for around £130. It has four toner cartridges. A well know PC store wants £85 just to replace the yellow cartridge alone!!!
And there was me thinking I had got a bargain. I might just as well buy another printer.
I shall order online where I know I can get the toners for far less than that.