Saturday, May 30, 2009

I was telling Becky recently how I had always hankered after a tattoo, but never had the nerve to go ahead. I think my family would probably disown me though as I’m not talking discreet here. *LOL*
Anyway, it got me thinking about a project I started on some time ago about tattoos, Maori tattoos in particular. A very interesting subject. Not just the significance behind the design but the way they actually did the tattoo was horrendous. Its a wonder they didn’t all end up with septicaemia or worse!
So I dug out some of the notes I had collected as I was thinking - tattoo – Thermofax – you see where I am going?
This was the first tattoo design I pulled out, obviously not a Maori one :)
Not an ideal subject but would do to practise with.
I made the screen and then tried it out on several surfaces with different paints.
This is white acrylic paint.
On Lutradur:Then on cotton duck which had previously been dyed – the image seems to float on the surface.I then dunked this in a Mustard Procion dye bath. The image still floats but seems to look a lot whiter.These two are a mix of yellow and red oxide acrylic. I was aiming for a sort of ‘rusty’ colour.
The first one is on a rust dyed polyester fabric and the second one on previously prepared Lutradur.Couldn’t quite get the rust look I was after so decided to use Metallic Iron Effects paint through the screen and when that was dry I spritzed it with the rust activator.
Lutradaur again. You can see the rusty parts but the background isn't right.And once again on rust dyed polyester. This time it’s starting to look good.Next on the menu was Micaceous Iron Oxide.
Firstly on dyed cotton duck.You can see in this close up how this paint sits on the surface. It really sparkles too when it catches the light. This medium is supposed to turn slightly rusty given time. I have wetted this piece and dried it in the sun several times but nothing much is happening yet.
On Lutradur:I tried it on black and white organza and laid both over different backgrounds as it was interesting to see how it alters the effect.
Black organza on a black background......on white background.White organza on black background......on white backgroundAnd had some really good results on previously painted Tyvek paper.This one shows you how raised the surface is and you can also see the sparkle.Now to go off and experiment further with these surfaces.

I'm still chipping away at the camera v guttering debate. As I said to him, it's been there well over a hundred years why change it now - but he didn't quite see the funny side of that!

11 comments:

Freedom of Stitch said...

a MOST excellent experiment!! Thanks so much for sharing it -- for all us mad mad studio scientists! victoria

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great experiments, as always! I have to admit my favourite has to be the one on the rust dyed polyester (mainly because I'm a huge fan of rust). Love it!!

Sandy said...

Wow! Great work.

Carol said...

This is Awesome I love the ones on the tyvek paper particularly. Right next time you come down i am going to take you! I have one you see, and weirdly I was only thinking today I would like another. I have my baby's initial inside my own on my hip.

Doreen G said...

Great work Lynda-but I'm still trying to come to terms with the scary tattoo.

Fibrenell said...

The effects of the print on the dyed cloths are great. Can you explain a bit more about Thermofax - preparing a screen for printing is all a bit scary to me?
Helen

chrissythreads said...

ooh- very interesting. More Please.

Heather said...

These experiments are stunning - I love the textures on the last one.

Lizzie said...

Great work. I've been hankering after a tatoo myself for some time now, but can't pluck up courage or decide where to have one or what design to have!!!!!!! I have put plenty of obstacles to be knocked down before I make the decision!! Love the rust.

Becky Vigor said...

My favourite is the one with the mustard dye. I love the way the image floats and it's really interesting to see the different effects of the fabrics you've used.

neki desu said...

verrry interesting experiment!
love the white images floating on the fabrics. love the fabrics too

neki desu