Sunday, March 22, 2009

Well, I did it!
My very first workshop – and I have survived to tell the tale.
It was for a wonderful group of very friendly ladies in South Wales called Fibrepaperarts. CarolT is a member of this group and if you take a look at her blog you will see some of the things we got up to.
This group made my first workshop a really good experience so I’m hoping there will be more to follow.

‘The book’
Carol McFee and I managed to get ‘the book’ finished by the deadline and off to Maggie, who is very pleased with it by all accounts. We are going to Micheal Wicks next Saturday for a photo shoot, then its off to the layout artist so everything seems to be on track for publication in April, along with another wonderful book by Maggie.
No doubt I will let you know when it hits the shelves. :)
Meanwhile, just to whet your appetite hopefully, here is a taster of some of my pieces you will find in the book. Enjoy!
And speaking of books, my blogging friend Shirley Sherris has her book out in August, and I can assure you it is going to be amazing. If you haven’t stumbled across Shirleys blog yet, then you really ought to .She's a lovely person and extremely talented. This is the fantastic cover of Shirleys new book which is available for pre-order on Amazon.And yet another great bit of book news is the lush CD ‘Lovely Lutradur’ by Marion Barnet and Dijanne Ceval will be available shortly in printed form. Marions blog has all the details and you can put your name down to be informed when it is published. Another one on the ‘must have’ list.

Now on to other things.
I thought I would share this ‘happy accident’ with you. It certainly wasn’t the look I was aiming for but I was quite taken with it nonetheless.
I painted a piece of Pelmet Vilene with Charcoal Procion Dye. I diluted the dye powder with warm water but didn’t add any of the normal additives you would use for cold water dyeing.
The Pelmet Vilene really drank the liquid up with the consequence that I put loads on and with the weather being the way it was it took a couple of days to dry.When it was dry I used a fusible webbing to adhere foil to the surface. For this piece I used a copper foil.This was then covered with dressmaking tissue paper sealed with Golden Polymer Medium. And as you can see, once dry the foil has been all but obliterated in parts.It was then painted over with a thin wash of Interference paints, and this is the result. (Not exactly the same piece as above but from the same batch)This weekend I thought I would use some different colour Procion Dyes to see what results I achieved. I used Indigo Blue, Terracota, Mustard and an Indigo Blue and Mustard mix.
Although the photograph makes this one look like a blue background it is actually a mustard colour with gold foil. The tissue paper has only just been added.And this is the same piece five minutes later. Already you can see how it is changing.This is how it looks once dry. The thicker band of foil is where I used a second layer of fusible webbing as the foil didn't totally adhere the first time. And these are a selection of some of the other pieces all with different colour foils. I haven’t added interference paints to these ones yet but I may do on some of them.I’ve cut and wrapped a few of the pieces into mega-beads, some of which will be used for a project I have in mind but haven’t had time to finish.It also involves this:Its a PVC pipe covered in Pelmet Vilene and painted with Goldens' Micaceous Iron Oxide which evidently will rust given time. It stands about 50 cms high and 10 cms diameter. Hopefully I will finish it for next weekend.

Its good to be back :)

24 comments:

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Hi
It is good to have you back (I did know that you were blogging today!)
I have just sorted a huge stack of old dress patterns and was going to put them in the recycle paper sack but not now. I will be using hem in other ways now!!
You do use some long winded paint names - another one to add to the list of 'to buys'.

Many thanks for plugging my book.
I'm certain that yours will do really well as all your blog followers will agree. You have sold one already!!
Cheers
Shirley

Susan D said...

Lynda it's so good to see you back....I've missed catching up with what you are up to.

smarcoux said...

wondered where you have been Lynda... we really must meet up .. I just made a purchase of a Gracie quilting frame waheyyy ... but now busy rearranging the fabric room to make room for her.
Sandy

Digitalgran said...

Good to have you back. You have been so busy with lots of exciting things happening!

Carol said...

I am glad to have you back tooo, missed you! Glad you had a good time with us and can't wait for another visit. The book is soooooo exciting, can't wait!

Jane said...

Also pleased to see you back, although it is going to become an expensive read because I have to have all the books you mentioned :-). I am intrigued by the idea of rusting a PVC pipe, looking forward to seeing more of this.

Clare Wassermann said...

The very best of luck with your book. I have the Lovely |Lutrador CD Rom which is great!

neki desu said...

good to see you back.
as ever, great ideas.

neki desu

Alis Clair said...

It is good to have you back. I love to read all about your experiments. You never fail to inspire me.

Good luck with the book. It was already on my want list ;0)

Seth said...

Those glimpses of the pictures in the book are Amazing...with a capital A!

Unknown said...

Great to have you back!!!!!!!!!

Ruth said...

I knew you were beavering away on your book so just waited patiently. The book looks like it will be wonderful. Do let us know the minute it comes out. Your experiments are wonderful - you always get such depth with all your layers of work. Looks like the class was fun, only wish I could have been there.

Unknown said...

You have been missed!! Can't wait for the book! Lovely teaser. Thanks for the inspiraton.

Julie said...

Welcome back to blogging Lynda! And well done for the book. It's already on my shopping list!

sharon young said...

Lovely to see you back, Lynda, and what a great post . Congrats on finishing the book, you and Carol must be so excited.
Your experiments look amazing, can't wait to see what you'll do with the tube.

Doreen G said...

Welcome back to the "old" experimenting Lynda who shows and tells it all.
I have missed you so much.

Sandy said...

Welcome back. I always love to see your experiments.

hippopip said...

Great to have you back the book looks fasanating

Heather said...

Glad the workshop went so well and I am really looking forward to yours and Carol's book - love the little taster pieces. Thanks for the info about the Lovely Lutrador book - I have been hoping to get that too. That's three new books because I must have Maggie's as well. The foiled Pelmet Vilene pieces are great, as are the mega beads and I do hope you will show us what becomes of the PVC pipe - I'm bursting with curiosity. I have already taken a look at Carol's blog and seen those gorgeous vessels your students made at the workshop - wonderful work.

Anonymous said...

Great that you are back and I am waiting for the book with great anticipation.

artmixter said...

You're on a roll, girl, great work...glad you enjoyed your first workshop, I love teaching. May there be many more! And thank you for mentioning The Book... working hard on getting Lovely Lutradur ready for publication...as well as Exquisite Evolon, which will be ready for August!

Heather said...

It's me again - thankyou for your kind comment on my blog. I liked making the fence, but the others all remind me of lovely holidays.

Caroline Moore said...

glad to see you back blogging and wonderful news about the book. Good luck with it all and I'm looking forward to it.

Wil said...

Can't wait to get your book. Those pictures look very promising.