Sunday, December 28, 2008

Moulding Mesh experiments

I seem to have a ‘creative block’ at the moment. Half of my holiday has disappeared and I have nothing to show for it!
So I decided I would just fiddle around in the workroom today and have a play with this Moulding Mesh I bought from the Crafty Notions stand at Ally Pally.I started off by just melting the mesh to get a feel for it. I used the heat tool for the red one with holes in it and the iron, set on cotton, for the mauve one. I also fused a silver and a red together with the iron.Although they don’t look very inspiring as they are, they would make great textured pieces to include in a mixed media piece covered with acrylics.
Rather than paint them I thought I would try this Montana acrylic spray paint. I have only just started using this spray, and this gold is the only colour I have but its fantastic stuff. Sprays anything really well so I am definitely going to add to my colour range.I sprayed all three pieces with the gold sprayand then I gave this one another spray with Crafty Notions Creative Colour Sprays 'Scarab Beetle' which has given it a really lovely ‘old gold’ effect.For this next piece I backed the mesh with Kunin felt then layered metallic tissue fabrics and organza on the top before embellishing. I then used the heat tool on the back and the front to make it undulate and to burn back some of the organza.I used the same combination for the piece below but this time before using the heat tool I inserted pieces of dowelling and pinned the fabric down onto a cork board so that once the moulding mesh had cooled it would hold the shape of the dowelling.This is what it looked like when finished. Where the organza has melted the tissue fabric shows through to the surface.This close up gives you a better idea of what the ridges in the fabric look like.This is my favourite piece. The colours do not show up very well in these photographs.I layered organza then moulding mesh followed by a layer of metallic tissue fabric topped with another layer of organza. I then used marbles tied with elastic bands before heating with the heat tool.These next photos are different things I am working on at the moment. More about those later.
Some are the front and back views of the same piece.
This final photo shows a top and side view of the same piece to give you an idea of the depth.
I’m not sure that you would be able to guess exactly what this piece is made from let alone what I did to it before painting :)Its amazing how writing a blog entry and taking a few photos can help get you motivated again :)

26 comments:

Vicki W said...

More awesomeness! I really love the peice that was shaped with marbles.

Jackie said...

I don'tknow about you being motivated..its motivated me!
I love the dowel effects. Is the last piece tyvek?

Dale Anne Potter said...

Lots of GREAT motivation on this blog post....last piece looks like tyvek.
I'm glad your MUSE has come back with just playing...we should all treat ourselves to a playday once in awhile.
ENJOY!

Sandy said...

YOur creative block is definitely gone. That mesh looks interesting, but all are spectacular.

Unknown said...

Well it really motivated me, like I wrote you earlier I also bought the moulding mesh, so now you have tried this, my mind is really pondering what can I do with it that you don't allready have tried :-)See, it is working allready *LOL* a great challenge to me....

Unknown said...

Love the dowel piece,the molding mesh looks like it has great possibilities. is the spray paint as smelly as the usual gold sprays?

Carol said...

Wow girl, that's how to get back in the swing! I love the dowel piece and the marble piece is spectacular. The last piece has to be something other than tyvek..... but I can't think what!.... oh oh what about crisp packet?

Unknown said...

Wish I could get "back into the groove" like you just did!!! Amazing as usual! Happy New Year!

Grace said...

What a great idea using the dowels for shape. Looks like you had fun using this moulding mesh...now looks like I have to find some of my own to work with.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oooh goodie! Something else to add to my wish list :)
Love the inspiration you've given us...can't wait to get back into my studio.

Doreen G said...

I love how you go about getting for A to B using the "what if" theory.
I think the dowel peice is my favourite.

Doreen G said...

Oh and I forgot to say that I think the bottom one is the wrappings from some chocolates.

Ruth said...

Love the "marble" piece. Hey - anything named Montana must be good even spray paint. Looks like you had fun with your experiments.

Pat said...

Mine's still in the bag!! I love the marble piece and the fern is beautiful.

Pat said...

Mine's still in the bag!! I love the marble piece and the fern is beautiful.

neki desu said...

creative block??
this mesh thing is verrry exciting!
and yes, the dowel piece is a bomb.

neki desu

Corryna said...

It is so nice to blog and even better to read what others do :-). You inspire me! It is so great to see all the textures you make and the colours you use. I still have a lot to learn and explore.

Happy New Year


Corryna

Caroline Moore said...

Happy New Year Lynda. So much for 'creative block' I wish I had half of yours. I love the metal mesh and how you have it moulded over the dowels, definitely something I would like to try.
Lets hope 2009 is as productive for you as the past year and that you keep on inspiring.xx

Joanna said...

So, much for your creative block:) These experiments look great! That molding mesh really does look like interesting stuff. You are really taking it in a new direction.

sharon young said...

What creative block ??????????
Love what you're doing with the mesh and your WIP's look gorgeous.

Julie said...

I think your mojo is definitely working again! I love the feather pieces and the gold sprayed mesh looks good too. The moulding over dowels is inspired!

Robin Mac said...

Your inspiration is certainly back in a big way. I love the lot, but i think the marbles are my favourite.

Carol said...

Fabulous pieces. The colours are stunning. All the very best for 2009.

Stitchety Grub said...

Luv all your work ... I soooo enjoying dropping by your blog - Happy New Year
Britt West Aus :-)

Kim said...

I'd like to point out that MOST people suffering from some (obviously fictional) creative block do not HAVE 85 photo's of their recent works , missy. Wow. I think the mesh and the fern are my fav's , but all your experiments are so interesting - who knew one could melt moulding mesh?!
Happy New Year!

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

I love all your experiments, interesting work.