I haven’t been around for a bit because of migraine, hay fever & an ear infection (all par for the course at this time of year thanks to Rape Seed) but also because my modem finally died on me so I had to buy and set up a new one.
It had been playing up for a while and I thought that could have been the reason why emails have not been getting through and I keep being disconnected but evidently not as this has been happening to a few other AOL members.
Therefore I didn’t get the notification emails from everyone that commented on my previous blog so if I haven’t responded to you then that is the reason why, apart from the ‘no-reply’ comments. I do click on your blogs to see if there is a contact address in your profile and if there isn’t then I’m stymied. I’m wondering if this is the reason why the comments come through as ‘no reply’?
Thought I would explain all that as I just wanted you to know that I very much appreciate all your comments, that’s why I blog, and I do like to respond where possible.
Anyway, moving on, remember this?
Which turned into this?
Well, it has finished up as this.Now don’t panic, members of the ALQS it’s not a contender for the swap, just thought I would show how it turned out. :)
This was the first layer but it didn’t really do anything for me, too shiny - Quin. Nickel Azo Gold and Quin. Burnt Orange.So I put on another layer of Transparent Red Iron Oxide.I then decided to create a few ‘rust’ spots. Metal Effects Iron paint was applied and when this dried a layer of Rust Activator went over the top.
I decided to use the heat gun to speed up the drying process but it doesn’t work I’m afraid. The rust didn’t really happen as it should, so there's a lesson for the future.
And this was the result. The bubbles in the acrylic paint were intentional by the way.I then added a layer of Satin Polymer Varnish and the most amazing thing happened.
As you can see in the close ups, the metallic paint layer bubbled up and flaked and the Rust Activator layer that went over the edges of the metallic paint turned into a verdigris colour.
You can see better what I mean if you click on the photos to enlarge them.
This next photo is a close up of a small part of a second quilt. I was going to say it’s a double whammy one but looked up the definition of this phrase and it actually means ‘a double blow or set back’ which isn’t what I was trying to say at all!
I was really pleased with this rust effect. More about this when I have finished the quilt.