Finished - well, all apart from the binding and the labels - another contender for the ALQS.
This one started off really well, but now I'm not quite so sure.
Its actually a reversible quilt, thought I would let my partner decide which way they wanted to hang it - hence the double whammy incorrect phrase from the last post. The photos of the finished piece really are poor quality on this one.
This is the first side.
And this is the reverse.
I started off in the usual way by marking out my design and stitching it.
Then came a coat of white acrylic paint.
This is the first layer of Quinacridone Nickle Azo Gold on the front side.
And this is the second layer of Paynes Grey.
First layer of Quin. NAG on reverse side.
Followed by second layer of Paynes Grey which I then put a further layer of Transparent Red Iron Oxide over the top as you can see in the finished photo. I used these pieces on the front side. They are handmade paper, torn into shape, covered with Golden Coarse Pumice medium and the same combination of paint on the top as in the quilt. Before stitching them to the background I lightly rubbed Treasure Gold around the edges. I tore some medium weight calico just slightly bigger than the space I had left on the surface of the quilt. I tore rather than cut so I would have rough edges. Scrim was laid on top and once again the same combination of paints was used. Once the rusty handmade paper shapes were stitched on top I stitched down a square of copper shim that I had lightly heat treated. Several strands of gold coloured aluminium were stitched over on two sides at the same time. These next photos show the embellishments on the reverse side of the quilt.
Once again a torn calico painted base was used. I then painted heavy Tyvek paper firstly with Walnut Ink then acrylic paint over the top. The shapes were cut out roughly with a soldering iron and Treasure Gold rubbed around the edges before stitching down.
Through the centres of the Tyvek you can see the copper gauze that I heat treated.
I think that what has put me off this one is the trouble I had sewing with a metallic thread through all the layers to fix the top pieces in place.
Metallic machine thread and I don't get on too well at the best times and I found this really difficult to do.
I've got so many other ideas on how to make a quilt using this basic method but have decided to limit myself to three so the third one is on the go as I write.
So far though, I think I still prefer the finished first one although the reversible aspect of this second one does appeal to me.
Kate is showing the finished quilts on the ALQS blog, they are all very good. Plus you can link on the blogs of the other members of this swap.