Sunday, April 20, 2008

I took on board everyones comments on my last post about this canvas. I gave it another coat of Transparent Red Iron Oxide but couldn't think how to make a focal point without it looking like I had just stuck something on the top. So in the end I just dabbed some turquoise paint over the French Knots.
Still not quite right - but certainly an improvement. The camera flash makes these canvasses look shiny but they're not. They do look more like rusty surfaces. So I thought I would create another one to wax - but quite liked this one too. And then a third one, which I also liked so I won't be waxing any of these - not for a while anyway :)

Did you see the 'Wild Women and Friends Challenge' on Dales blog?

Just a bit of fun but it would be nice to see lots of them displayed. They will all be up for trade plus the Thread Studio are giving away prizes for the best of show.Follow the link here to read all the details.
Also, Fibre InForm are now offering foil by the metre - perfect for those larger projects and even better value :)

15 comments:

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

They will look superb sitting side by side - just as they are - love them.
Cheers

Unknown said...

The combination blue/ brown is slways one of my favourites! I like the structures in the new canvases.

Doreen G said...

I love the colours that you have achieved with this technique Lynda.

Ruth said...

These are so cool. All this work to try the wax technique! But really they are wonderful a set.

Debbi Baker said...

Hi Lynda - these are all just looking wonderful "as is" - I think it is a really sound decision not to add the wax! PS I love the extra depth in the colour on the original piece - it really makes the knots pop.

Anonymous said...

Your surfaces are very fine.
Thank you fdr youy comments on my blog
Joelle

sharon young said...

Hi Lynda
These have worked out really well, the colour combination is perfect, and the top one is working especially well now, I wouldn't alter it at all if it was me. Love the addition of the text too.

Gina said...

I love these rusty samples Lynda - beautifully rich colour and texture. It was super to meet you at the w/e and put a face to the name!

Unknown said...

As usual wonderful depth and texture, perfect just as they are :)

Genie said...

I can only agree with the others, Their Lovely

TracyB said...

I hope I don't ruin this for you, but when I saw the first smaller picture of your piece, it looked like the chest of a woman and your french knots looked like a string of pearls. Not sure if that was your intentions?
It's just beautiful!!

Laurence said...

The second photo is my favourite. Very nice.
Laurence

hippopip said...

Well Carols idea of adding blue worked a treat lifted the whole piecc, I still cant see the naked torso but maybe my mind is just too pure! I really like the other two the focal point of writing is great

Lalhezar said...

I love the results of this technique. Your colours are really excellent and I can see a woman's torso in the painting. Well done

ewa-christine said...

Hope that I can make one or two of my own Wild Women, I LOVE yours!!!