As I mentioned before, I signed up for the ALQS hosted by Kate even though I have never actually made a quilt before.
I don't really want to do a traditional style one but think that maybe I am going too far the other way.
I decided to have a trial run at the weekend and work on a couple of ideas I had.
This one is calico painted with emulsion paint first followed by blue writing ink then I added bleach through a Thermofax screen.I ironed pleats into the top layer, I wanted four 'panels' on one side,a larger one then one on the opposite side. These were then stitched down through all layers with red rayon thread and I used the same screen with a red fabric dye in the larger section.And thats where I stopped.
I had plans to add red stitches/buttons/beads down the seams but it was beginning to look pretty boring - so I painted the whole thing over again with white acrylic and will add more colour once its completely dry and see where it takes me.
With this next one I stitched through all layers in a diamond pattern leaving a blank square and added beads where the lines crossed.I painted the whole thing with white acrylic paint then masked the square off.A layer of Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold was added next.
Followed by Paynes Grey. The square was painted the opposite way around, Paynes Grey on the bottom followed by Quin.Gold.
As you will notice, I'm really into the 'rusty' look at the moment :) I printed an old Railway plate on to tissue paper and used Polymer medium to fix it down and gave the whole quilt a coat of the same.
Both of these measure 45 x 45 cms.
I do like how this second one has turned out but am not sure if my swap partner would feel the same!
My partner has to receive the quilt by 1st July so I've got a while to play some more.