These glimpsings are from one of the pieces I was working on this weekend - the one where the colours are pretty awful. I rubbed Copper Treasure Gold on quite thickly and it doesn't look too bad after all.
This is something else I am working on. Its scrim embellished to cotton velvet dyed once then overdyed. Same as a piece I did some time ago but this time I used Mustard Procion MX dye for the first dyebath followed by Indigo Blue. If you haven't tried this technique yet of dyeing the scrim after embellishing, then you really ought to. The resulting fabric is wonderful, in my opinion. I put this one in the tumble drier after rinsing to fluff it up a little and it worked a treat.
Having mentioned Clyde Olliver in my last post I decided to try combining slate with stitch. The only slate I had was a couple of Victorian roof slates found in the shed when we moved here.
I drilled several holes and used three different strands of silk threads on the first one.
I then found some pieces of driftwood and inserted them through the crosses.
Then a gust of wind came along, blew the slate off the small easel and it shattered into a dozen pieces! I saved the larger pieces and went on to create this.
And with the other tile I used torn strips of rust dyed cotton.
A sort of Clyde Olliver meets Lois Jarvis meets Traci Bautista with a bit of activated rust thrown in for good measure !!!
But hey, everyone has to start somewhere.
Seriously though, I would love to combine slate, stone or ceramics with fibre in some way, just need to get the right materials, the right inspiration and have a definite design idea in mind before starting.
Sorting through some bits and pieces I found these beads I made several years ago and thought I would perhaps have another go and see if I can take them further. The base material of the beads is copper coated wire that I knitted using the knitting machine.
It may be just my imagination but I am sure these beads were far more vibrant when I first made them than what they appear to be now.