The paper ‘thread’ I have used for all the samples is one I bought from a mill shop several years ago. Evidently it is/was used to make paper knickers! The composition is very much like nappy liners and I’m wondering why I haven’t used it before to experiment with.
My first sample is worked on recycled cotton rag paper.
The stitches were rubbed over with a green metallic Markal paintstick. I had to rub very lightly as too much pressure tended to pull the stitches out. A wash of deep red drawing ink over the top...
...and finally finished with a layer of acrylic wax.
I had used a paper towel to mop the excess ink off, liked how it came out...
...so did the same with a sheet of watercolour paper.
This sample is handmade paper pulp backed with scrim.
Small amounts of Procion MX dye in Magenta, Golden Yellow and Indigo Blue were mixed up to use as paint. I’m going to work this one further and will post the results later.
The final sample is on a background of watercolour paper and the Chevron stitch is used to couch down a strip of paper string.
The whole piece was flooded with deep red drawing ink and black writing ink.
Then out came the bleach!