Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sample 1

This sample is one of the pieces I worked for the TAST Feather Stitch. It was covered in tinfoil and painted but the stitches had been worked in a fine thread and did not show up very clearly so I carefully peeled the tinfoil off and painted Pumice Gel Medium directly over the stitches.



When the gel was dry, Quink writing ink was painted over the top.



The photo below shows a close up of the bottom right hand corner where there were obviously some grains of salt left from my previous experiment. When the ink dried it left this effect.


I thought it was the reaction of the ink with the salt so I prepared another piece, painted with gesso then Quink ink and sprinkled with coarse sea salt. Nothing happened!! Maybe it was the reaction of the Pumice Gel Medium with the salt and the ink just highlighted the effect. I shall have to try again as I think it looks really good.

When the ink was dry I used a rubber stamp I had carved some time ago. Painted the stamp with bleach and pressed it on the surface. I then used a bleach pen to lightly brush over the rest of the piece.

What I find amazing is that this stamp is just carved in the outline of a lizard, taken from a painting by Escher. It is totally smooth and yet the bleach effect has made it look like this lizard has two eyes!





I am going to work further into this and actually make it into something, possibly a book cover. I will post photos when I have finished it.

11 comments:

neki desu said...

i love the textures and colors .is it iridescent? a small box cover making it faux tortoise would also work.

thanks for your comments on my blog.
i usually mount work on plexiglass,neutral to the point of not being there!

neki desu

Doreen G said...

Well Lynda you have done it again.
This looks great

Anonymous said...

Really like this sample - great color and texture.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I sort of think of you as a scientist, always experimenting. I think your willingness to try new things is so cool.

Unknown said...

what a beautifull structure this is, I also like the colours very much. It lookes like enamel. It suprised me that the bleach worked.

Dianne said...

Your experiments are the best!! You are just a marvel at trying new things and always taking it that little step further! Love these samples.

Digitalgran said...

I love to follow your experiments Lynda and one day I would love to try out some stitching and cover with Gesso or similar as you do. Please continue to inspire me.

Alis Clair said...

Great texture and colour.
Will look forward to seeing what you create with this.
hugs, Alis

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

This is exciting stuff! I love the organic effect.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Nice effect, Purp.

Helen said...

love the texture of these shots. Do let us know if you manage to reproduce those happy accidents :)