I made two pages as I couldn’t decide which one Dianne would prefer for her book.
I took my inspiration from this moth mirror.
It is on a backing of Kunin Felt covered with two layers of organza and a layer of net.
I traced the design onto water soluble transfer paper and stitched it through from the back. On a trial run, I was actually stitching from the front but found that however much I tried to dissolve the paper there was still a sticky residue left underneath the machine stitching.
After freehand machine stitching the piece I burnt it through with a soldering iron.
I backed the holes with a gold and a red metallic fabric. I originally made two faces from Sculpey and painted them gold but they seemed very heavy and clumsy so I printed the original design onto transfer paper and used those instead.
The second one is made from several layers of hand dyed scrim. Once again the butterfly pattern was machine stitched from the back and then I machined rows of stitching ready to slash.
I slashed right through the layers for the stripes and just took off the top layer of scrim for the butterfly shape.
And now it's up to Dianne as to which one she would prefer!