Once again I have concentrated on texture rather than pattern or colour.
I’m not entirely sure if the stitch I have used is, strictly speaking, buttonhole, I think it is probably more like blanket stitch but if push comes to shove I shall call it ‘wide spaced buttonhole’.
The first sample is on a background of calico. I made a rolled piece of fabric from calico and secured it down with buttonhole stitch using torn strips also made from calico. I then worked further buttonhole stitches around the edges, some close together, some overlapping.
This sample is made using muslin and undyed silk thread. I laid some thick cord at the back of the muslin and used buttonhole stitch to secure it, giving a raised surface on the top.
I then dipped the whole piece in an indigo coloured Procion dyebath.
I feel that both these samples are ‘unfinished’. I could have worked into them more, especially the second one, to make them more interesting.
The final sample is also various undyed silk threads on muslin. This time I have placed a length of cord on the surface and secured it with buttonhole stitch then worked further stitches around the edges in all shapes and sizes, some overlapping and some close together.
I then decided to give it the ‘VCH’ treatment. A coating of white emulsion, followed by a layer of black Quink ink.
Then, of course, out came the bleach.
A collage of close up photos.
Finally finished off with a rubbing of Treasure Gold.
Another collage of close up photos of the finished piece.
All three samples have once again been made into postcards with notes on the back.
A lot of stitchers this week seem to be more experimental with their stitching. There are some really good samples on blogs out there. SharonB lists these on her weekly round up of the Take A Stitch Tuesday challenge. Well worth a look.