Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Fabric Page Swap for Emmy
I have now finished my page for Emmy in the Fabric Page Swap for FiberArt Friends. Emmys’ chosen subject is ‘Blue and Green’. This is the book cover Emmy made for her fabric pages.
The colours of the page I made do not want to show up very well in these photographs, the green and the blue are really both darker than in the photo – I think my camera battery is getting low.
Here is the process I went through.
I dyed lots of different fabrics using Procion MX dye in Indigo Blue and Bottle Green. Its amazing how many hues you get from the same dyebath using different fabrics. The cotton velvet and silk velvet came out really well.
I dyed a large quantity of muslin and scrim - I guess I already knew I would be using my favourite technique of the moment – slashing.
I started off with a backing of calico followed by 2 layers of blue muslin, 2 layers of green muslin, 2 layers of blue scrim, 2 of green scrim, 2 more of blue muslin then the final top two layers of green muslin. 13 layers altogether.
I machine stitched a grid from the back then slashed through.
As I was trying to use the FiberArt Friends monthly challenge for January to combine paper and fabric, I tore some small squares of handmade paper made from recycled denim jeans and used the embellisher to lay down scraps of blue and green scrim. I have a Babylock Embellisher and it wasn't too keen on going through such thick paper but I took it steady and everything seemed alright. As I had already torn the paper into about 1.5" squares it was a bit fiddly which I don't think helped.
I then machine stitched these in place using FME.
And, of course, here are some close up photos of the finished piece. Not for any particular reason just that I do like some of these close ups.