Wednesday, December 13, 2006


Don’t you just hate it when something which starts off with so much promise just ends up totally overworked?
That’s what happened with this piece.

My photography as usual isn’t up to much. It does look better ‘live’. What appears to be gaps in the fibres is actually white/clear organza, it just isn’t showing up very well.

I started off with one of my ink and bleach sample photos.

I transfer printed it on to calico and used organza to embellish it with.

The blue organza is an iridescent one – it hasn’t just picked the red up in the photo.
I then decided to embellish knitting ribbon, did not like the effect so tried to cover with more organza.

Still wasn’t pleased, about to bin it, then it dawned on me – embellished, not stitched down, just rip it off!!

This is how the piece looked when I had finished embellishing the organza.

And this is what the back looked like.

I then decided to knock back the colour by putting black netting over the top. I also wanted the coloured ‘tubes’ to stand out a little more so machined a vermicelli stitch in the gaps over the net.

This is a close up of the piece when the knitting ribbon was still attached.

On reflection I think maybe I should have carried on as I started. Still, at least I have another sample and lots of notes for my workbook!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I've been reading your blog for a while, and I love reading about how you make your pieces - it is so interesting.